This issue of ICT Update, entitled "Mobile finance - next stop agriculture", is dedicated to emerging innovations in mobile finance for agircultural value chains. Emerging innovations in mobile finance are revolutionising the agricultural value chain, and creating alternative ways of making payments to farmers, giving them greater access to a range of financial services and reducing or eliminating supply chain credit risk.
Mobile finance provides channels for credit, savings, insurance, transfers and payments. It encompasses not only mobile money and mobile banking but other alternative delivery channels such as e-vouchers, debit cards, smart cards, branchless banking, ATMs and point of sale devices. Meanwhile there is a growing need for more and higher quality agricultural production worldwide by more efficient and effective value chains. Sophisticated mobile financial tools that are used to facilitate more agricultural credit, savings, insurance, transfers or payments will be essential to making targeted value chains more efficient and effective.
In this issue:
- Guest editor - The agricultural mobile finance revolution by Lea Babcock and Chris Statham
- Beyond cash by Fulgence Kalisa and Deus Manyenye
- Reducing supply chain credit risk by Femi Akinda
- Big data for smallholders by Michael Turner
- Young voices - ICTs and agricultural entrepreneurship by Ken Lohento and Mark Speer
- Bookmark - Rural Finance Learning Centre
- Q&A - Changing market dynamics by Priya Jaisinghani
- Tech Talk - Creating a ripple effect by Elisa Miguel Nhamuave Matola